I’m a Machine Learning PhD and indie app developer in Vancouver, Canada. This site is the place to find me if you’re looking, and occasionally a place for me to sound off on work, my life and travels, and my obsession with weird old movies.
5/1/2016: Hire Me!
If you are reading these words, I’m looking for a job! This past year working as an independent developer and trying to start a business has been a tremendous experience, but the time has come to look for something a bit more permanent. And while I’m at it, maybe get back a bit to my previous life as a Machine Learning researcher and engineer.
- My curriculum vitae (or my LinkedIn profile, if you prefer). Please go ahead and email me if you think we might work well together or just want to ask questions.
- I’m currently wrapping up my work as an independent iOS app developer, working on a new (not yet released) app co-developed with Pocket Pixels.
- Before that, I worked as an employee of Pocket Pixels on the truly outstanding iOS photography apps Color Splash and Juxtaposer. I also worked on the Machine Learning parts of the lauded (and deservedly, because it was awesome) news aggregator app Zite, which was acquired by Flipboard in 2014.
- My PhD thesis and other publications. The subject of my PhD work is Bayesian optimization, with an emphasis on practical AI applications (computer vision, machine-aided animation tools, robotics, etc).
- For the past few years I’ve been making something or other to sum up each year of my life and putting it online. Here’s what I did for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011
- I <3 movies. Because people sometimes ask, I maintain a list of my favourite movies that you maybe not have seen.
- My wife and I love to travel, mostly in Asia. In January 2014 we took a month-long trip to Vietnam. She was six months pregnant at the time. It was fine. In October 2014 we went to Australia with an infant. That one was a bit rough.
- My blog. Pretty quiet now, but who knows?