I’m a Machine Learning Software Engineer and former indie app developer in Vancouver, Canada. This site is the place to find me if you’re looking, and occasionally a place for me to sound off on work, my life and travels, and my obsession with weird old movies.
- My curriculum vitae.
- In March 2016 I joined Tableau Software’s Vancouver office, where I will be working on bringing Machine Learning to Tableau’s data visualization tools.
- Before that, I was lucky enough to work at Pocket Pixels on the popular iOS photography apps Color Splash and Juxtaposer. I also worked on the Machine Learning parts of the awesome news recommender app Zite, which was acquired by Flipboard in 2014.
- My PhD thesis and other publications. The subject of my PhD work is Bayesian optimization, with an emphasis on practical AI applications (computer vision, machine-aided animation tools, robotics, etc). I had the incredible fortune of having Nando de Freitas (now at Oxford and Google DeepMind) as my thesis supervisor.
- Despite my warnings, people keep wanting to use my PhD work in projects! So I put some MIT-license Python and C++ code on Github.
- For the past few years I’ve been making something or other to sum up each year of my life and putting it online. Here’s what I did for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011
- I <3 movies. Because people sometimes ask, I maintain a list of my favourite movies that you maybe not have seen.
- My wife and I love to travel, mostly in Asia. In January 2014 we took a month-long trip to Vietnam. She was six months pregnant at the time. It was fine. Since then, our trips have been a bit more kid-friendly, just the occasional jaunt across the Pacific to visit relatives in Australia, you know?
- My old blog. Remember when blogs were a thing and everybody had one and they were all a bit samey but also kind of personal and intimate? I miss that.
Recently (jan 2017)
It’s 2017 and I’m still writing “dear God just let this year end” on my cheques.
Just kidding, who writes cheques?
- Game: Ultima VI: The False Prophet (MS-DOS, 1990; replay)
- Comic: —
- Fiction: —
- Non-Fiction: J Ronson, The Elephant in the Room: A Journey into the Trump Campaign and the “Alt-Right”
- Podcast: Talking Machines
- TV: Better Call Saul, Season 2
- Restaurant: Savio Volpe, 615 Kingsway
- Drinks: The Irish Heather, 210 Carrall St
- Coffee: Porto Café, 2207 Cambie St
- Last Great Movie: Au hasard Balthazar (dir R Bresson, 1966)
- Last Good Movie: The Fits (dir A R Holmer; 2016)