I’m a Machine Learning Software Engineer and former indie app developer in Vancouver, Canada. This site is the place to find me if you’re looking, and occasionally a place for me to sound off on work, my life and travels, and my obsession with weird old movies.
- My curriculum vitae.
- In March, 2016 I joined Tableau Software’s Vancouver office, where I will be working on bringing Machine Learning to Tableau’s data visualization tools.
- Before that, I was lucky enough to work at Pocket Pixels on the popular iOS photography apps Color Splash and Juxtaposer. I also worked on the Machine Learning parts of the awesome news recommender app Zite, which was acquired by Flipboard in 2014.
- My PhD thesis and other publications. The subject of my PhD work is Bayesian optimization, with an emphasis on practical AI applications (computer vision, machine-aided animation tools, robotics, etc). I had the incredible fortune of having Nando de Freitas (now at Oxford and Google DeepMind) as my thesis supervisor.
- Despite my warnings, people keep wanting to use my PhD work in projects! So I put some MIT-license Python and C++ code on Github.
- For the past few years I’ve been making something or other to sum up each year of my life and putting it online. Here’s what I did for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011
- I <3 movies. Because people sometimes ask, I maintain a list of my favourite movies that you maybe not have seen.
- My wife and I love to travel, mostly in Asia. In January 2014 we took a month-long trip to Vietnam. She was six months pregnant at the time. It was fine. Since then, our trips have been a bit more kid-friendly, just the occasional jaunt across the Pacific to visit relatives in Australia, you know?
- My old blog. Remember when blogs were a thing and everybody had one and they were all a bit samey but also kind of personal and intimate? I miss that.
Recently (October 2016)
Digging in for the Vancouver rain.
- Game: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
- Comic: T-N Coates & B Stelfreeze, Black Panther
- Fiction: W Gibson, Neuromancer (reread)
- Non-Fiction: —
- Podcast: The Adventure Zone
- TV: Project Runway, S15
- Restaurant: Royal Dinette, 905 Dunsmuir St
- Drinks: Whitechapel Gin Bar, 600 Polk St, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Coffee: Gene Coffee Bar, 2404 Main St
- Last Great Movie: Au hasard Balthazar (dir R Bresson, 1966)
- Last Good Movie: Hell or High Water (dir D Mackenzie, 2016)