I’m a Machine Learning Software Engineer and former indie app developer in Vancouver, Canada. This site is the place to find me if you’re looking, and occasionally a place for me to sound off on work, my life and travels, and my obsession with weird old movies.
- My curriculum vitae (or my LinkedIn profile, if you prefer).
- In March, 2016 I joined Tableau Software’s Vancouver office, where I will be working on bringing Machine Learning to Tableau’s data visualization tools.
- Before that, I was lucky enough to work at Pocket Pixels on the popular iOS photography apps Color Splash and Juxtaposer. I also worked on the Machine Learning parts of the awesome news recommender app Zite, which was acquired by Flipboard in 2014.
- My PhD thesis and other publications. The subject of my PhD work is Bayesian optimization, with an emphasis on practical AI applications (computer vision, machine-aided animation tools, robotics, etc).
- For the past few years I’ve been making something or other to sum up each year of my life and putting it online. Here’s what I did for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011
- I <3 movies. Because people sometimes ask, I maintain a list of my favourite movies that you maybe not have seen.
- My wife and I love to travel, mostly in Asia. In January 2014 we took a month-long trip to Vietnam. She was six months pregnant at the time. It was fine.
- My blog. Pretty quiet now, but who knows?
Australia-bound! How bad could a 14-hour flight with a toddler be?
No, wait, please don’t tell me. Wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise.
- Game: Imbroglio (iOS)
- Comic: T-N Coates & B Stelfreeze, Black Panther
- Fiction: —
- Non-Fiction: J Markoff, Machines of Loving Grace
- Podcast: Beef and Dairy Network
- TV: Silicon Valley
- Restaurant: ZAC.ZAC Japanese Curry House, H-마트 2nd Floor Food Court, 590 Robson St
- Coffee: Aperture Coffee Bar, 243 W Broadway
- Last Great Movie: L A Confidential (dir C Hanson, 1997; rewatch)
- Last Good Movie: The Lobster (dir Y Lanthimos, 2015)